Pre- and Transitional Kindergarten
Looking For A Great Pre-K in Kansas City?
Finding a Pre-K in Kansas City can be challenging. Whitefield Academy’s Pre-Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten offer our youngest students, our “Little Lions,” the opportunity to begin their school years in a loving, supportive, nurturing, and faith-filled atmosphere. Our classes are usually limited to 14 students in order to ensure that each student receives the best possible care and attention.
While the emphasis is on fun, nothing is done just to “keep the kids occupied.” Every activity and game serves a larger purpose.
At this age children learn through fun activities. Each aspect of the day is designed to teach the first steps in the essential skills of literacy and numeracy, skills they will use the rest of their lives. Pre-K and TK students learn phonograms (the letter and letter-combination sounds) cursive writing, and arithmetic skills. Art teaches spatial awareness and improves fine motor skills. Music opens them to the joy of musical expression. In the gym, they improve their balance and hand-eye coordination through fun games.
This year of a child’s life is an important one for their social and emotional development. The “Little Lions” learn to play cooperatively, to listen to and respond to instructions, and practice Christ-like kindness to one another.
Whitefield Pre-Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Program Details:
- Children must turn 4 before or on September 1 to be eligible for Pre- or Transitional Kindergarten at Whitefield.
- School begins at 8 am and ends at either noon for half day or 3:05 for full day.
- Students may arrive as early as 7:30 if needed.
- Aftercare is available after school hours until 5:30.
- A trained aide is present for mornings and when needed for additional activities.
- Teacher – student ratio is 1:7 when the class is full on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
- Hot lunch is available five days per week if the student attends for the full day.
The decision to place a student in either Pre-Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten rather than Kindergarten, is based on the teachers’ observation covering four developmental domains:
- Social: language development, expression, peer interaction
- Physical: gross motor and fine motor abilities
- Emotional: teachable, respectful, obedient
- Intellectual: conceptual, perceptual
The Whitefield Pre-K and Kindergarten programs are the perfect blend of serious learning, fun creativity, and social development. The teachers care for the hearts of the kids and guide them not only in learning phonograms and addition facts, but also navigating this new world called “school”. Whitefield teachers set high expectations and yet graciously love their students through the early childhood development process. They truly partner with us as parents to shepherd the hearts of our kids as we prepare them for their academic future and disciple them toward knowing and loving Christ.